Small Business Enterprise Program
Does your business provide a commercially useful good or service that the City of St. Petersburg buys? The Greenhouse’s Small Business Enterprise (SBE) can provide your company with enhanced opportunities to participate in construction projects and provide services and supplies.
Benefits of the SBE Program
- SBE Goals on Project-by-Project Basis
Prioritized recruitment and utilization of SBE-certified companies as subcontractors to achieve city-mandated SBE participation goals on construction projects. Goals of up to 50% of contracts costs toward SBEs can be set.
- Sheltered Market
Set asides (opportunities to bid on projects open only to SBE-certified firms) for construction projects and on goods and services.
- Discounts for Goods and Services (1-15% for bids and quotes)
Application of SBE discounts to bids or quotes for goods and services to increase likelihood of SBEs being awarded contracts.
- Technical Assistance
SBE staff is available to assist with SBE Outreach, Networking, Recruitment, Payment Issues and Project Compliance.
- Workshops, Seminars and Training Programs
The Greenhouse offers SBE-specific training in addition to its regular business development curriculum. Topics include:
- Orientation to city procurement
- City programs, services and business incentives
- Pricing for businesses
- Disaster preparedness and recovery for business
- Estimating and bidding
These offerings are designed to build SBE competency in basic topics for business growth. Visit our Trainings & Workshops page to see when they are offered next.
ELIGIBILITY AND CRITERIA
A business that is independently owned, operated and controlled; and is not dominant in its field of operation; and which meets the following criteria:
- Serves a commercially useful function
- Has been in operation for at least one year
- Has 50 full-time, permanent employees or less
- Has an annual sales volume (averaged over the previous three years) of:
- $5 million or less for Goods/Services/Supplies
- $8 million or less for Construction
- Must be domiciled in Pinellas, Hillsborough, Pasco, Manatee or Polk counties (A post office box is not acceptable as a business address).
SBE certification with the City of St. Petersburg does not reciprocate with small business certification programs from other municipalities, counties, or at the state or federal levels. You must be certified through The Greenhouse to participate in the City of St. Petersburg SBE program and receive benefits.
SBE CERTIFICATION/RE-CERTIFICATION PROCESS
- New certifications – register your company with the City of St. Petersburg Procurement & Supply Management Department.
- Learn how to register as a vendor
- **Re-certifications – contact Greenhouse staff below for initial instructions before proceeding to next step.**
- Go to stpetegreenhouse.com/SBEapplication.
- Click Apply for/Renew Certification.
- New certifications – click Create Account under New Certification
- Re-certifications – under Renew Your Certification, click the Login button
- Fill out and submit application.
- Upload the affidavit portion of the application when prompted. Applicants must also drop off or mail the original affidavit to The Greenhouse at 440 2nd Avenue North, St. Petersburg, Florida 33701.
- Satisfy SBE workshop requirements detailed below.
Review will take up to 30 days depending on workload and additional document requests. Greenhouse staff will contact you if there are deficiencies or additional information needed.
SBE WORKSHOP REQUIREMENTS
The Greenhouse offers SBE-specific training designed to build SBE capacity and ensure competency in basic topic areas for business growth. Effective August 1, 2009, all SBEs are required to attend the following core workshops:
- How the City Buys
- Disaster Preparedness/Recovery for Small Business Owners
- City Services and Incentives
In addition to the above core workshops, companies are required to attend the following business-related workshops based on specialty:
Companies Providing Construction Services
- Basics of Bonding (Part 1 or 2)
- Estimating and Bidding
Companies Providing Goods and Services
- Pricing for Profit
Workshops must be taken within 90 days of certification/re-certification (or certification/recertification will be revoked). Workshops only have to be taken once for current and future certification periods, and any member of your staff can attend the workshops on behalf of the company. If you have already taken any, your company is not required to take them again. For workshop details, dates and registration, visit the Greenhouse Trainings & Workshops Calendar, or call (727) 893-7767.
CERTIFIED SBE SEARCH
Are you in need of a SBE-certified company to furnish goods or for construction-related purposes? Visit our SBE Search Page and click “Search Registered Directory”. This is searchable by business name, specialization, location and contact information.
Small Business Enterprise (SBE) vendors are only certified as meeting the established criteria of the existing SBE program and not certified as qualified in any other area. The city is not responsible for and disclaims any representation made by any SBE vendor. You must do the appropriate due diligence before selecting an SBE vendor.
Please contact SBE staff for more information or questions:
Eric Lavina, Economic Development Analyst
Lowell Atkinson, Economic Development Specialist
Ondria McDonald, Administrative Secretary